Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Our Little Secret hair extensions

As many of you know I recently got hair extensions applied by a company called Our Little Secret. I applied to be a model for one of their training courses, which meant I got a discount and paid €89 for a "full head" of single strand extensions, €89 more than they were worth imo. As you will also know if you read my blog, I generally love to give credit where credit is do, and rarely write a bad review.

Firstly, let me say that my problem is not in any way related to the people running the course. The guy who did my hair was lovely, as was the trainer. My problem is with the quality of extensions I received on the day being so poor that I had to pay to have them removed after less than 2 weeks.

When I applied to be a model I explicitly explained that I had had a very bad experience with micro bead extensions before and was very dubious about getting them again. I was repeatedly assured that the beads used were so small that they would be virtually invisible in my hair, and was linked to the below picture as proof. That all looked very convincing to me, so I followed through.

Image from http://www.hairextensiondublin.ie/microring-hair-extensions.html
How obvious the beads were.

While my extensions were being applied (which took about 5 hours but I was prepared for that) I was very aware that there wasn't an awful lot of hair being used. When the trainer brushed my hair through on the day it looked fine, unfortunately I'm not a professional stylist so it never looked that way again.

I first started noticing problems when I tried to tie my hair up. The beads were painfully obvious from every angle, as you can see below. They were also sore for nearly 4 day after, again something I was assured wouldn't happen. They were so sparse that I couldn't wear my hair down as the extensions were very ratty, gappy and wispy, basically it was blatantly obvious that I had extensions in.


I emailed Our little secret on the 4th day that I was in discomfort explaining the situation and with pictures of the state of my hair. When they replied they said that extensions can take up to a week to settle and "bulk out", contrary to what was said on the day. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and persevered.

After a week and a half there was absolutely no improvement. If anything they looked worse as almost every time I brushed my hair I was losing strands, before taking them out I lost 7 strands. On the day we were told we could lose between 1-5 strands, but any more than that is excessive. I explained this in my email too.

I had to get the extensions removed during the week, leaving me a further €50 out of pocket. The hairdresser removed a total of 68 strands, plus the 7 that fell out makes 75 individual strands, which for someone with quite thick hair is just no where near enough.

For nearly 2 weeks I had hair that I just couldn't do anything with. At no stage in my correspondence with the company did I ask for a refund, as I knew I was part of a training course. That said, the quality of the extensions I was left with was still tied to their company, and was a reflection on them, it's not a reflection I would want on my company. In the last email I received from them i was offered €89 off a full head of extensions (valued at €299-599) as a goodwill gesture, but once bitten twice shy, I wouldn't even trust them to remove the extensions. I'm sure anyone would be extremely reluctant to let anyone near their hair who had done such a bad job in the first place. I told them this, and explained that I feel that they should at least cover the cost of having them removed, and they never replied. Their attitude towards an dissatisfied customer seems to be 'ignore them and hope they go away'. Their customer service leaves an awful lot to be desired.

If anyone is thinking of taking part in one of their training courses I urge you to tread very carefully. I am now €149 out of pocket for absolutely nothing. I would never recommend them to anyone. Had they had dealt with my complaint better I probably never would have written this review but I think that people should be aware that if they are unhappy with the level of service they receive from Our Little Secret that they will do virtually nothing for you to rectify it.

20 comments:

  1. Thats a joke!! Sounds like a terrible place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a joke!! Sounds like a terrible place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so disappointing! Hopefully anyone thinking of parting with their hard earned cash will see this and think twice!

      Delete
  3. Oh no, so sorry to hear this happened to you. This is the very reason why I've never had any type of "permanent" hair extensions done before. Unfortunately a friend of mine got stung a few months ago too - she paid for a full head of extensions and the lady put in about 45 - nowhere near enough for a full head, and like you they caused her pain, fell out and looked limp and ratty and they were all uneven at the ends as they were loose and slipping. She had to get hers taken out less than a week later and she was devastated at the time over it that she had wasted so much money. You really do have my sympathies. :(

    Belle Morte Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least im not the only one who's gotten caught out. That's exactly what it is though, a big fat waste of money! It's not like they're cheap!

      Delete
  4. Wow that's awful, I have had extentions for years, I'm a hairdresser myself also so I would freak out if I went through what you just did!! I really love your blog!! Pretty please follow me back!!

    http://merakidublin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm over it now. Managed to get my Halo piece back to it's original colour so I'm living in that these days!

      Followed back :) x

      Delete
  5. This was quite an experience for you. Having hair extensions was supposed to be the way to boost your hair’s beauty and your confidence. It’s disappointing that you didn’t achieve it. But past is past. The important thing now is you moved on and learned a great lesson, to become more careful in checking the quality of a hair extension before putting it in your hair.

    Tommy @ HerHairCompany.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is they were meant to be a fairly reputable company! Lesson learned though, I'll be staying away from hair extensions from now on, bar clip ins. Too many bad experiences.

      Delete
  6. Hi Katrina,

    Thanks for sharing your story. I had a similar bad experience with Our Little Secret. I blogged about it here;

    https://medium.com/@claressecret/my-terrible-our-little-secret-hair-extensions-experience-660964babf98

    Thanks,

    C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a way to run a business! It's a miracle they're still going! Fsir play for taking it further!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post indeed..I let my friends read this post and they all agree with you!..
    Microbead Hair Extensions

    ReplyDelete
  9. The standard individual who comes for dental remedies isn’t anywhere close to the trouble zones from the city.
    brazilian water wave hair

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got scammed out of 300 euros from Melissa from our little secret extensions. I requested in advance to have good quality Russian hair nano rings, full head and was confirmed in messages from them that was OK. What was actually applied was extremely bad quality hair and not a full head as paid for. The hair is extremely dry and frizzy, looks terrible it's embarrassing and it's been tied in a plait. Melissa will not answer my calls or messages since and it's disgraceful to be conned like this!! DO NOT GET HAIR EXTENSIONS FROM THEM

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got scammed out of 300 euros from Melissa from our little secret extensions. I requested in advance to have good quality Russian hair nano rings, full head and was confirmed in messages from them that was OK. What was actually applied was extremely bad quality hair and not a full head as paid for. The hair is extremely dry and frizzy, looks terrible it's embarrassing and it's been tied in a plait. Melissa will not answer my calls or messages since and it's disgraceful to be conned like this!! DO NOT GET HAIR EXTENSIONS FROM THEM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please leave her a comment on facebook as I did today.
      People have to know what is she doing !

      Delete
  12. she is a thief a liar !! cheated me for 250 euros as promised to use human hair ! instead - synthetic shit ! no reply from her, not even a word ! informed police.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think brazilian body wave is the best.

    ReplyDelete